Deals

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Today’s thankful: I didn’t get arrested

Yesterday I took my three girls to Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari in Santa Clause, IN for our annual before school starts day trip. I started taking Eldest and Middlest after the divorce and it has become our special annual girl day. We have taken friends with us in the past, but the last several years have been just me and my girls. Youngest has been part of our tradition for about four years. Yesterday we were standing at the top of Watubi awaiting our turn in the giant round raft. There were two rafts of people in front of us, when the big girls started to giggle. The reason? Youngest had gotten so nervous she peed on the stairs. I was so proud. We had a talk about how it is wrong to pee on the stairs and that she should never, ever do it again, even though the sisters laughed.

Fast forward several hours. We had talked Youngest into riding Bakuli, which is a large tube which empties into kind of like a toilet bowl and spins you down the drain in the middle. She did NOT want to go on it, but with a lot of encouragement (in the form of a new Now That’s What I Call Music 39 CD), she relented. As often happens when we stand in line for an extended period of time, we started chatting with the people behind us.

When we got to the last flight of stairs, the big girls started laughing. I looked down at Youngest to find her standing in another puddle of pee. About that time the line moved, and we went up a few steps. I was horrified and we were all laughing silently, shoulders shaking, when the guy behind us said, “Hey, why did you quit talking to us?” Then he laughed really hard. I turned around, face red, tears streaming and apologized through my laughter. It is really hard to sound sincere when you are laughing almost too hard to speak. Fortunately, they were all really good natured about it. Youngest got a stern talking to which included promise of a punishment should she do it again. I am so glad I didn’t get arrested for my kid urinating in a very public place.

No comments:

Post a Comment