Deals

Friday, May 20, 2011

Today’s thankful: My friend’s referral to Flylady.net


A few days ago my thankful was about a clean dishwasher. My friend, Fifi, directed me to Flylady.net, saying it had changed her life. For today’s history lesson, you need to know that I have always been a really bad housekeeper. I wanted a clean house and I do know how to clean, but it never reached the top of my priority list. For several years, I have been struggling with self-esteem issues surrounding my unclean house. It isn’t board of health shut you down dirty, but I am so NOT a clean freak.

A few months ago, after watching several episodes of “Hoarders” on TLC, it occurred to me that I might be a hoarder. A lot of self-evaluation later, I decided that I am not a hoarder, but am probably just too lazy to do housework. I don’t keep needless things. Anyway, I have been trying to declutter and clean, but keep getting sidetracked. Enter Flylady.net.

This website is dedicated to people like me who are a little bit too whatever to clean their house alone. It was like this site was made for me personally. I love it. The idea behind the whole thing is having a tiny daily routine with a daily e-mail of two tasks which will take no more than 15 minutes each. By focusing on a zone of the house each week, it ends up all being clean. This program just might work for me. Cross your fingers!

Anyway, I am truly thankful that Fifi knows me well enough to suggest this site. One item of note, when my big girls were little, I consciously decided not to clean much, because when I cleaned and they messed it up, I got mad. I didn’t want to spend their childhoods being a witch, so I stopped cleaning. The site keeps reminding members that perfection isn’t the goal, but progress is. Like the Flylady says, small baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. Like you ... when my sister sent me the flylady link it was like this huge relief that I wasn't the only person who felt overwhelmed and totally a big failure at house cleaning! The "you can do anything for 15 minutes" has spilled over into all areas of my life. Every quilt that I have hand quilted has been done 15 minutes at a time. Once the house got clean, maintaining it is a snap ... baby steps! Here is to freedom from choas :)
    Love, Fifi

    ReplyDelete