Deals

Monday, February 21, 2011

Today’s thankful: My tiny person’s ability to be kind


Youngest has had a squirt gun she has been playing with for the last several days. I have repeatedly reminded her not to squirt it at me or the laptop. She has been doing a pretty good job.  Yesterday she walked into the kitchen and shot at me over the half wall. Now, I do acknowledge that she is about two foot nothing tall and couldn’t actually see me, but she knew where I was sitting and that the laptop was on my lap. The water she squirted hit me in the glasses. My children have all known since they began reaching for them that touching mommy’s glasses turns her into an instant bitch.
When the water hit my glasses, I took a deep breath and told Youngest to bring me the gun. She did, and was asking how long I was going to keep it as she handed it to me. I took it and squirted her in the face three or four times. That was a bad move on my part, because it fired up tiny person’s temper. She picked up a ball point pen and threw it at me. It hit my cheek point first. The pain and blood sent me after her in a hot hurry. She got her butt spanked for that one and sent to her room.
After the five-minute time out, as she is five years old, I went to talk about the incident. She returned to the family room with her blanket and pillow and lay down on the floor. I joined her and, because I am always tired, closed my eyes. Then one of the best things ever happened. She started taking care of me. She shared her blanket with me and kissed me on the forehead.
Our relationship has never been an easy one, and I’m pretty sure it will never be, but I sure am thankful that I have her and that, once in a while, she shows me that she can be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment