Deals

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Today's thankful: I took tiny person to the doctor


I was raised in a household where we rarely went to the doctor. Most of the time, my siblings and I were encouraged to fight off illness on our own. My parents are not Christian Scientists, but didn’t have a lot of money for unnecessary doctor visits. As a rule, if we were sick for longer than a week and didn’t show gradual improvement after the third day, we were taken to the doctor. As a consequence of my upbringing, I react in a similar fashion when my kids get sick. Today I violated my regular criteria and took tiny person to the doctor for what has been a six-day illness. She seemed to be getting better, but since her fever came back up over 100 after it had been less than that for a day, we sought medical intervention. She has strep. It was a very faint positive, so she almost got over it on her own, but the doc is treating it anyway. I am so thankful that I took tiny person to the doctor.
Apparently, untreated strep can complicate into rheumatic fever, kidney injury, or Toxic Shock Syndrome, to name a few. I never knew that, which is surprising, since I am not a rookie mom. Honestly, I thought rheumatic fever was a thing of the past and TSS only happened from not changing tampons often enough. Well, I’ll be. Just goes to show that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment