Deals

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Today’s thankful: I took a chance on being a box mom


Yesterday evening was the first time we dressed our band kids for a home football game. I am a box mom. What is a box mom, you ask? Our band has big boxes on wheels, which hold the uniforms of 14 kids. My fellow box mom and I are tasked with ensuring our 14 band kids are ready to go, with hair done, uniforms clean and complete, and shoes shined. Then when the kids are done, we ensure they hang up their uniforms and toss their socks and gloves in the bag to be washed. Then they get a snack. The kids were measured for uniforms in July. Last night, the first time they wore said uniforms, there were several last minute adjustments to be made. It is amazing how quickly a teenaged boy can grow.

Anyway, after a 45-minute frenzy of activity, our kids were all dressed, the freshmen educated, and my co-box mom and I were left, sweating and smiling, in the midst of a row of dirty sneakers, all neatly clipped together.

Taking care of the band babies is a lot of work, it is a gigantic time suck, but it is one of the most rewarding volunteer positions I have ever had. This task is exhausting, and will take up every Saturday from now until Thanksgiving, but I am so glad I took the chance and signed up that first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment