Deals

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Today’s thankful: My ability to cook


Everyone who knows me well knows that I love to cook. I also have a guilty pleasure: watching cooking shows. One of my favorite is Chopped on The Food Network. The premise is four chefs start with a mystery basket of ingredients and limited time in which to create an appetizer for three judges. One cheftestant is then chopped. Three go to the entrée round, then two for the dessert round. This matters; trust me.

Anyway, I have always enjoyed being in the kitchen and my mom let me help her whenever I wanted, which was often. Now that I have had that same kind of help from my girls, I am so thankful that she allowed me anywhere near the kitchen. Lord only knows how she ever got dinner for six on the table, cooking everything from scratch, with a small helper underfoot.

Okay. So jet forward 40 some years, and I found myself in the kitchen of a rented condo (no pantry), ready to make fried chicken and mashed potatoes for the family, and realized that Spouse hadn’t purchased the bread crumbs which I had requested. This omission wouldn’t have been a problem, but he didn’t mention it. So there I was with five hungry people, raw chicken and very little else. I felt like a chopped contestant. In a burst of inspiration, I crushed up Cheez-It crackers and use them as a coating. It worked, but I wouldn’t recommend it for anything but an emergency situation. The flavor was good, but the crackers soaked up a little too much oil while frying. I bet it would be good oven baked, though. So today’s thankful, I am thankful for my ability to cook.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will try this oven baked ... it sound really good! :) Me, not such a good cook but I really enjoy baking ... brownies, cookies, bread ...

    ReplyDelete