Friday, July 1, 2011

Today’s thankful: Hair dryers

A number of years ago, maybe 10, I took a small group of my then Girl Scouts into an Indy Parks park to reclaim farm land. The process included traipsing into waist-high weeds and planting trees. It was a lot of fun. A few days later, all but two of us had to pay a visit to our dermatologist’s office for steroid shots because of the raging case of poison something or other we caught. I hadn’t seen any poison ivy, and didn’t know what we had contacted. The park ranger who led our expedition informed me that the leaves were gone from the ivy and he hadn’t thought the stems would bother us. They did. Since that time, I seem to be a magnet for poison ivy, which brings me to today. I have a raging case of ivy rash on my left forearm and hand. I got it from touching my dog, who had been in contact with the weeds at the back of our lot.

What, you may ask, does poison ivy have to do with hair dryers? Only this: My ex-husband taught me that if you direct the heat from a hair dryer at an itchy patch, the heat intensifies the itch until you almost can’t stand it. Then, right before the heat burns a hole in your skin, the itch magically disappears and doesn’t return for several hours. That is right. HOURS. I have tried all of the over-the-counter remedies, to no avail. This morning as I awoke I was jonesing really bad for a hair dryer fix. My hands were shaking, I had it so bad. I am so very thankful for the sweet, hot relief found at the end of my hair dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment