Deals

Friday, March 23, 2012

Today’s thankful: New night

About a thousand years ago when I was dating, I happened upon an idea that stayed with me and I have since implemented with my family. This guy I was dating said something to the effect that every Wednesday night, his mom prepared something they had never eaten for dinner. I wondered aloud if he and his siblings didn’t try to avoid Wednesday night dinners at home. He informed me that, while there was the occasional stinker, most of the Wednesday meals were at least decent. Adding to the allure of attending new night was the understanding that if you were present, you could cast your vote as to whether the new food would become part of the regular family rotation. Absence at new night meant no voting rights. He told me that they made an effort to make it home on new night. I don’t have an overly adventurous palate, but new night appealed to my sense exploration and I held the idea until I had a family of my own. Alas, my family doesn’t like change much, so I had to tweak the idea a bit. In consideration of my family’s aversion to trying new foods, I have agreed to only make new things on Wednesday. Also, not every Wednesday is new night. Sometimes I let them bask in the comfort of foods they know. Last night was new night, though, and we got a good one. I am glad the concept of new night was introduced to me all that time ago and that I was able to keep it in my memory file.

No comments:

Post a Comment