Deals

Friday, January 7, 2011

Today's thankful: TV remotes

I know it sounds lazy, but the television remote is, IMHO, one of the greatest things ever invented. When I was a kid, my grandpa had a remote that would change the channels, but it did so by forcing the knob to turn. There was no typing in the channel you wanted and then magically, silently being taken there. Instead, his version made a metal clank and then the knob would turn one space. My sister could make it go by shaking her charm bracelet.

My parents had a remote of sorts. They would tell one of us kids to get up and change the channel, turn the volume up or down, or move the rabbit ears. Yes, I am that old. I hated that remote.

But today’s version of a remote, that changes everything quickly and silently, is a wonderful little gadget. Could I live without it? Sure. I even have, on occasion, done without when someone has hidden it then left the room. The greatest feature of modern remotes, though, has to be the mute feature. That way, if the phone rings, I don’t have to answer with Jerry Springer blaring in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment